Are You Thinking About Attending a Conference?

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." 

- Maya Angelou



I've been extremely lucky in the experiences I've had at conferences. The last two years have been wonderful in the quality of topics, an excellent environment of learning, and the peer relationships I have built with those who attended.

TestBash NYC was a one day conference put on by the Ministry of Testing. I had the opportunity to go via a contest, where I wrote an essay which won me a ticket. It was eight hours of topics presented by wonderful people, many of whom I still have contact with today. {Here is a link to the essay I wrote about the conference itself.}

I also met other people who are industry leaders, thought leaders and testers, and had great discussions about topics, all relating to testing. The overwhelming feeling of community stayed with me long after I went home. I still talk about that experience like it was yesterday.

So this time, I want to talk about several conferences, if you are planning to go to one, or want to go but aren't sure which ones are worth the money and time. Here are a few I would suggest you check out no matter where you are on the planet.



Test Bash  - any Test Bash, there are four of them now! Get to the one nearest you and have your very own mind nova! The Ministry of Testing organizes these and I can tell you this group of people are about developing the community in ways that will definitely shape the industry to come. Passionate people about their profession and the time they invest in content and community shows in this showcase of talks and talent. The next one is in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and it's shaping up to be pretty epic!





European Testing Conference (ETC) - this was another one that had a good mix of people who have roots in Ministry of Testing. There are others involved with this conference that made three days in Romania some of the most mind opening and educational days I've spent in another country. The organizers are wonderful and understand what it takes to have an event succeed. They are also mindful of the cost to speakers and those that attend. I'm very glad I had this experience and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this conference which will be in Finland in 2017.




Agile Testing Days - Seven days of testing and development heaven with some of the worlds best and brightest speaking and exchanging ideas. I have not personally attended one yet, but it's on my bucket list. This year it's in Berlin. Next year it will be in Boston, and I hope I can attend. There are smaller events around Europe and I recommend those as well. I've heard nothing but good things from people attending the smaller conferences. And a great number of good things from people who attend the week-long one as well.

If you are planning on attending Agile Testing Days in Germany and would like to receive a 10% discount, use the following code: MelTheTester_010 - full disclosure, for everybody that uses my discount code, I have the chance to get a conference ticket. So if you haven't purchased your ticket yet, here's a good discount!


Regardless of what conference(s) you choose, go with an open mind and get out of your comfort zone and meet some of your fellow testers. The experience will stay with you for years to come.
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/m/mayaangelo392897.html?src=t_learning
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. Maya Angelou
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/m/mayaangelo392897.html?src=t_learning
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. Maya Angelou
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/topics/topic_learning.html
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. Maya Angelou
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/topics/topic_learning.html
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. Maya Angelou
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/topics/topic_learning.html

Comments

Most Read Posts

Ready, Tester One? *GO!*

Learning From Failure: The Tricky iOS Environment

Postman In The Pipeline: Newman Delivers